The Firm has experience in local government law, land development law, eminent domain, litigation and general business, including the following:
- General counsel to home rule and statutory towns and cities, and counties and special districts;
- Land use and annexation matters;
- Eminent domain and land acquisition by local government;
- Employment law, including defense of wrongful discharge cases, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, and other types of federal regulation, and development of policies, procedures, contracts and ordinances to help the public employer avoid liability;
- Real property litigation, including quiet title, boundary disputes, adverse possession and prescriptive rights;
- Representation of taxing entities in sales and use tax protests, appeals and litigation;
- Election law, including TABOR compliance, representation of both petitioners and municipalities for initiative, referendum and recall elections, and TABOR implementation and litigation, including litigation of Stecher v. Northglenn and Cerveny v. Wheat Ridge;
- Drafting legislation, lobbying and testifying before legislative committees;
- Experience in negotiating and drafting development agreements;
- Experience protecting governmental intellectual property, including trademark prosecution, copyright matters, and technology licensing.
We have been actively involved in newly adopted legislative enactments bearing upon tort law, governmental immunity, open meetings, open records, antitrust, land use and law enforcement. A major function of our position as City and Town Attorney for various municipalities and general counsel for special districts is to keep ourselves and our clients abreast of proposed and adopted legislation of this type.